Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The property was purchased by M.L. Hemphill in 1870 and by the John Fields family in 1881. Fields leased the building, 1893-98, to the “Texas Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital”, directed by Dr. Henry L. Hilgartner (1868-1937), and in 1903, sold the site to Frank M. Covert (1865-1938). The head of a prominent Austin family, who lived here until 1936. Later owners rented the structure as a boardinghouse, residence, and nursery until it was purchased by the State of Texas in 1968.
The Texas Historical Commission restored the house in 1972.
Erected 1972 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6423.)
Location. 30° 16.68′ N, 97° 44.432′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1511 Colorado St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Swedish Evangelical Free Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); State Bar of Texas (about 400 feet away); Gethsemane Church (about 400 feet away); Swedish Central Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Wahrenberger House (about 700 feet away); Price Daniel (about 700 feet away); Scottish Rite Temple (about 700 feet away); Moses Austin (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . The Texas Historical Commission. The Texas Historical Commission's Headquarters has been in the Carrington-Covert House since 1972. (Submitted on December 30, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on January 4, 2016, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.