Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Gault Homestead
Gault built a log cabin on the Whelin grant in the 1850s, and he and his family established a farm. In 1855 they purchased adjoining land from Captain Nelson Merrill and soon thereafter built a larger home on that tract of land.
Gault died about 1865 and was buried in Merrilltown Cemetery. The homestead property remained in his family until 1892, when it was sold to William and Edna Graves. They maintained the Gault homestead as tenant property for a number of years, during which the original cabin was enlarged with a board-and-batten addition. R.C. Cox acquired the property in 1929, and his family lived in the cabin through the following decade.
After a succession of owners, the Gault homestead became part of a modern housing development in the 1980s. It remains as a reminder of the Merrilltown community and of the county’s early rural heritage.
Erected 1990 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15048.)
Location. Touch for map. Katherine Fleischer Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2106 Klattenhoff Dr, Austin TX 78728, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Merrilltown Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bratton Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Waters Park (approx. 2.6 miles away); St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Walnut Creek Baptist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pflugerville (approx. 3.4 miles away); Evangelical Lutheran Church of Dessau (approx. 3.7 miles away); Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,303 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on February 10, 2011, by Arguendo & Dixi of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?