Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Stony Point School

 
 
Site of Stony Point School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
1. Site of Stony Point School Marker
Inscription. Stony Point School was established in Williamson County by 1891. Children living in the rural area attended the school, which served students from grades one through eight. Most of the students were sons and daughters of families that emigrated from Sweden. For many of the children, attendance at school was their first exposure to English on a regular basis. As students learned and mastered English, they brought the new language home. Thus, the school assisted in breaking the language barrier for the newly arrived Swedes, helping to acclimate them to this land. In addition, the school gave many of the students, who often lived on farms, their only formal education.

The school changed locations twice in its years of existence. The first location was in a one-room building on the Noack Ranch nicknamed Noack's Ark. The students affectionately called it Arken, Swedish for ark. The school later moved to locations west and southwest of the original site. In 1942, the school officially closed, as historic Stony Point merged with the Round Rock Independent School District. Still, alumni and teachers have gathered biennially to celebrate the former school.

In 1999, a new high school opened in Round Rock, and a committee formed to recommend a name chose Stony Point in honor of the pioneer school. Stony Point High School
Site of Stony Point School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
2. Site of Stony Point School Marker
Looking southwest
stands as a modern structure in a growing district, but its name reflects a different time, when a small school served the residents of what was then a rural community.
 
Erected 2006 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13529.)
 
Location. 30° 32.789′ N, 97° 36.9′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Kiphen Road (County Road 113) and County Road 122, on the right when traveling east on Kiphen Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Round Rock TX 78665, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cabin from Gabriel Mills Area (approx. 1.8 miles away); Confederate Chaplains (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hutto Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Palm Valley Lutheran Church (approx. 2 miles away); Kenney's Fort (approx. 2 miles away); The Double File Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Anti-Slaveholding Union Baptist Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hutto United Methodist Church (was approx. 3.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
 
Categories. Education
 
Site of Stony Point School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
3. Site of Stony Point School Marker
Looking east
Site of Stony Point School image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, December 27, 2009
4. Site of Stony Point School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement