Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hugh B. Hancock House

 
 
Hugh B. Hancock House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
1. Hugh B. Hancock House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1886, this house was originally located on 7th Street in the Robertson Hill area of East Austin. It was constructed for Hugh B. Hancock, a successful black businessman of the city. In 1904 it was sold to German native Charles Frederick Mann, a local railroad engineer, and it remained in his family until 1959. Built in the Victorian style with classical ornamentation, the residence was moved to this location in 1979.
 
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6457.)
 
Location. 30° 16.894′ N, 97° 44.78′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of West Avenue and West 18th Street, on the right when traveling north on West Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1717 West Ave, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Edward Mandell House Home (a few steps from this marker); West Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Denny-Holliday House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Larmour House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Hugh B. Hancock House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
2. Hugh B. Hancock House
Herblin – Shoe House (about 600 feet away); Goodall Wooten House (about 600 feet away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith-Clark-Smith House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. African AmericansNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement