Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Following his service in the Civil War, Hirshfeld moved to Austin and entered the mercantile business. By 1868, when he married Jennie Melasky, he owned a clothing store and was becoming a prominent businessman of the city. Three years later Governor E.J. Davis appointed him as the first Vice President of the newly created State Board of Trade.
Active in civic development, Hirshfeld was also an early leader of Austin’s Jewish community. He was a founder and the first President of Congregation Beth Israel, established in 1876 on the second floor of his Congress Avenue store building.
Hirshfeld had this one-story stone cottage built for his family in 1873. Constructed by Ed Christian, Ferdinand Dohme, and S. Loomis, it features a widow’s walk on the roof and jigsawn detailing on the porch. After the family moved to their new residence on the adjacent east lot in 1888, the cottage was maintained as rental property.
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6441.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 West 9th Street, Austin TX 78703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hirshfeld House (a few steps from this marker); Austin's Moonlight Towers (within shouting distance of this marker); Wooldridge Park (within shouting distance of this marker); 1933 Austin Public Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Third Site For Travis County Government (about 600 feet away); Original Site of First Baptist Church of Austin (about 600 feet away); Austin Woman’s Club (about 700 feet away); Original Site of First Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Regarding Hirshfeld Cottage. See Nearby Marker Hirshfeld House for information regarding the house located on the adjacent east lot, as noted in marker text.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 709 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of marker and its surroundings. • Readable photo of marker attached to the left of the entrance door. • Can you help?