Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Oliver House
Ohio Historic Marker
Overlooking the "Middlegrounds," an early site of railroad, immigration, and commercial activity, the Oliver House opened in 1859 as Toledo's premier hotel. It was designed by nationally prominent architect Isaiah Rogers, in the Greek Revival style, and built by the family of William Oliver for whom the hotel was named; owner of this land, Oliver was one of Toledo's earliest real estate investors.
[Reverse Side]:"The Oliver House"
Architect Isaiah Rogers is known as the "father" of the modern hotel, revolutionizing hotel design with such advances as water closets and mechanical call-buttons. The Oliver House is the last of Rogers' hotels in the United States, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Historic American Buildings Survey.
Erected 1987 by Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8-48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 38.61′ N, 83° 32.282′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Broadway Street 0 miles Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43604, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moses Fleetwood Walker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Port Lawrence / Fort Industry, 1805 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lucas County (approx. ¾ mile away); Toledo (approx. 0.8 miles away); Toledo’s Canals (approx. 0.9 miles away); Vistula Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 906 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 29, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.