Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Graysville in Rhea County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Graysville Academy

 
 
Graysville Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, December 26, 2009
1. Graysville Academy Marker
Inscription. On this site was founded Graysville Academy by a group of Seventh-day Adventists who were organized as a church on Sept. 8, 1888. Recognizing the need for training young people in order that the work of the church in the South could be expanded, a school was started Feb 20, 1892 above the store of J.W. Clouse in the village of Graysville, with G.W. Colcord as principal. With the donation of this land, the administration building was erected in 1893 and the school was named Graysville Academy.

Later, the school was known as Southern Industrial School, and Southern Training School. In 1915 the girls' dormitory burned, and as a larger campus was needed, the school was moved to a location near Ooltewah, Tenn. and the site was named Collegedale. The school there, Southern Junior College, later became Southern College of Seventh-day Adventists. After the fire of 1915, the Board of Trustees transferred the title to the local church and a school was continued with the name again of Graysville Academy.

On June 1, 1931, Graysville Academy was leased to L.A. Jacobs, who had long been connected with the school, and was operated as a boarding school. Because of economic conditions, the dormitories were closed in Feb. 1939. The last of the academy buildings was demolished in 1974. After the closing of the boarding school, the Graysville
Graysville Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, December 26, 2009
2. Graysville Academy Marker
Seventh-day Adventist Church has operated a day school for local patrons until the present time. Many students of Graysville Academy and the Southern Training School have served the Lord in many countries of the world.

This memorial was erected on the centennial of the organization of the Graysville Seventh-day Adventist Church. Oct. 1988.
 
Erected 1988.
 
Location. 35° 26.883′ N, 85° 4.704′ W. Marker is in Graysville, Tennessee, in Rhea County. Marker is on Tennessee Route 303, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Graysville Seventh-day Adventist church. Marker is in this post office area: Graysville TN 37338, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rhea County / Hamilton County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Blythe Ferry (approx. 3.9 miles away); Old Cornerstone / Smith's Crossroads (approx. 4.3 miles away); Smith’s Crossroads (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different marker also named Blythe Ferry (approx. 4˝ miles away); a different marker also named Blythe Ferry (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sale Creek (approx. 4.8 miles away); William Jennings Bryan (approx. 4.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Graysville Academy. Southern Adventist University (www.southern.edu) traces its history to the founding Graysville Academy described by the marker.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2009, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,063 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2009, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement