Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nicholson in Jackson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Antioch United Methodist Church

 
 
Antioch United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 20, 2009
1. Antioch United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Antioch Church was founded in Jackson County, Georgia in 1799, on land given by the James Glenn family. The original building, along with an 1825 addition, stands to the rear of the present sanctuary forming the "T" and was bricked over in 1954 with the construction of the new building. The fellowship hall was added in 1985. The church bicentennial was held Sunday, September 12, 1999, during annual homecoming service. Antioch has been designated Historic Site number 369 by the North Georgia Annual Conference and General Commission on Archives and History of the United Methodist Church.

Many Godly pastors have served Antioch, supported by a faithful membership. As a student appointment for many years, the church nurtured young ministers, giving them the start that led to a major impact for the Kingdom of God. Many have made significant contributions to the larger church as college professors, authors, missionaries and District Superintendents.

On this hillside, the church stands as a spiritual beacon at the light of Godís love and a hallowed place on holy ground.
 
Erected 1999 by Antioch United Methodist Church Bicentennial Committee, Nicholson, Georgia, Richard J. Cathy, Pastor, Beulah J. Smith, Chairperson.
 
Location. 34° 4.731′ 
Antioch United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 20, 2009
2. Antioch United Methodist Church Marker
N, 83° 26.268′ W. Marker is in Nicholson, Georgia, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Gus Barnett Road and Antioch Church Road, on the right when traveling north on Gus Barnett Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 885 Antioch Church Road, Nicholson GA 30565, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson County (approx. 8.3 miles away); May Erwin Talmadge (approx. 8.3 miles away); Americaís First Garden Club (approx. 8.5 miles away); Home of Governor L.G. Hardman (approx. 8.5 miles away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 8.6 miles away); Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace (approx. 8.6 miles away); Gospel Pilgrim Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away); Home of Joseph Henry Lumpkin (approx. 8.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
Antioch United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 20, 2009
3. Antioch United Methodist Church and Marker
Antioch United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 20, 2009
4. Antioch United Methodist Church
The original 1799 church, now bricked over, stands at the rear of the new church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement