Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Oglethorpe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Meson Academy

 
 
Meson Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
1. Meson Academy Marker
Inscription. Francis Meson (1761-1806), an Irishman and “wandering schoolteacher,” became a rich merchant in Lexington. He bequeathed $8,000.00 for an academy building and valuable property for an endowment, “the income to be used forever for the benefit of the teachers.” His executors erected a building, excelled among Georgia educational structures only by Franklin College, the sole building at the University of Georgia at that time.

In 1825 a Female Department was added under the direction of the Rev. Thomas Goulding. The income from the endowment was liquidated when a new building was constructed in 1896. In 1917, Lexington voted a school tax and Meson Academy became a free school. In 1920 it became the Oglethorpe County High School.

The first rector or principal of the academy was the Rev. Francis Cummins. Of the outstanding educators who followed him, Thomas Britton Moss served from 1849 through the difficult War and Reconstruction periods until 1889. Some of Georgia’s most eminent men were on the Meson Academy Board of Trustees: William H. Crawford, George R. Gilmer, Joseph Henry Lumpkin, Thomas W. Cobb.
 
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 109-7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included
Meson Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
2. Meson Academy Marker
The marker in front of the small park dedicated to the history of the school.
in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 52.183′ N, 83° 6.485′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Georgia, in Oglethorpe County. Marker is on Church Street 0 miles west of Academy Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker now stands at a small park, created to honor the Meson Academy. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 E. Church Street, Lexington GA 30648, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Oglethorpe County (approx. 0.2 miles away); James T. Rayle Post No. 123 Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oglethorpe County Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oglethorpe County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Gilmer’s Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wm H Crawford (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
More about this marker. The marker was originally installed on Main Street (US 78) at Mallorysville Road in Lexington.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyAntebellum South, USEducation
 
Meson Academy Marker, with Church Street in the background image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
3. Meson Academy Marker, with Church Street in the background
Meson Academy "Gravestone" image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
4. Meson Academy "Gravestone"
A stone, similar to a gravestone, in the park where the marker stands. It is for the "Meson Academy, 1806-1897."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement