Delaware in Warren County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Delaware Village Historic District
John I. Blair founded Delaware Village in the 1850's as a station on the newly built Warren Railroad in a rural neighborhood first settled circa 1740. While the station was demolished decades ago, the brick general store erected by Blair in 1860 survives and still houses the US Post Office. On Clarence Street stands the now-vacant Episcopal Church, built in 1869 to replace an earlier stone church at nearby Ramsayburg destroyed by a fire ignited by sparks from a passing steam locomotive in 1866. The former Baptist Church, built of brick between 1835-1838, stands between Ramsayburg and Delaware. A still active Presbyterian congregation, organized in Delaware in 1871, built a church in 1875 on a lot donated by Blair. The parsonage was formerly Cornelius Albertson's farmhouse.
Erected 2007 by Knowlton Towship Historic Comission.
Location. 40° 53.399′ N, 75° 3.682′ W. Marker is in Delaware, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker is on Valley Street half a mile north of Knowlton Road (County Route 616), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. County 616 (Knowlton Road) turns east from State 46, and immediately, Valley
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edward Marshall (approx. 2.8 miles away in Pennsylvania); Slateford (approx. 3.8 miles away in Pennsylvania); John Nicoll (approx. 4.2 miles away); Warren County Purple Heart Monument (approx. 4.4 miles away); Court House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Warren County Veterans Monument (approx. 4.4 miles away); County Park (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Shoe Tree (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Regarding Delaware Village Historic District. The old brick Baptist Church has recently been removed, sad to say.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2010, by Dorine Ruth Emery of Washington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 1, 2010, by Dorine Ruth Emery of Washington, New Jersey. 2. submitted on January 2, 2010, by Dorine Ruth Emery of Washington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.