Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1980 by State Department of Parks & Recreation, Murphys A & Q Inc. (Marker Number 267.)
Location. 38° 8.262′ N, 120° 27.899′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Algiers Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Plaque is placed on the north wall, left of the buildings Main Street entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 457 Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Sperry Hotel (here, next to this marker); Peter L. Traver Building (a few steps from this marker); Thompson Building (a few steps from this marker); Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store (a few steps from this marker); The Old Fisk Building E Clampus Vitus (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. James D. Savage (within shouting distance of this marker); John Murphy (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphys.
Regarding Murphys Hotel. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 267 on September 3, 1937 as The Mitchler Hotel
Statement of Significance:
This is one of the oldest hotels still operating in California. First called the Sperry and Perry Hotel, it was opened by James L. Sperry and John Perry on August 20, 1856. Henry Atwood was its proprietor in 1881 - later, ownership passed to Harvey Blood. Renamed the Mitchler Hotel in 1882, and the Murphys Hotel in 1945 by the McKimins family, it was bought by a College of the Pacific group in 1963.
Also see . . . The Historic Murphys Hotel. (Submitted on October 23, 2016.)
Additional keywords. California Gold Rush Towns
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 2,041 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 20, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on July 7, 2010. 4. submitted on July 10, 2010. 5. submitted on July 7, 2010. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.