Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mary Street Stone House

 
 
Mary Street Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 25, 2007
1. Mary Street Stone House Marker
Inscription. This residence is one of several erected in south Austin during the 1890s by Developer Nichols Dawson (1864-1939). Constructed of stone quarried in the vicinity, the small houses were similar in design, with hexagonal front bays. Dawson's partner in the real estate venture was his sister Mary (Molly) (1853-1933), a prominent local educator. She was principal of Fulmore School in south Austin and later operated her own private school.
 
Erected 1978 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6445.)
 
Location. 30° 14.893′ N, 97° 45.741′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of West Mary Street and South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on West Mary Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 W Mary St, Austin TX 78704, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Green Pastures (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millbrook (Roy-Hardin House) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Becker School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dawson Stone House (approx. half a mile away); Walter Tips House
Mary Street Stone House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 25, 2007
2. Mary Street Stone House
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Old I.V. Davis Homestead (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rocky Cliff (approx. 0.9 miles away); Texas School for the Deaf (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 823 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 1, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement