Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maurice in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Alphonsus Church

 
 
St. Alphonsus Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karl Stelly, circa 2009
1. St. Alphonsus Church Marker
Inscription. "La Chapelle à Maurice" was built on the ten acres donated in 1889 by Jean-Maurice Villien and his wife, Marie Chaty, from the provinces of Savoie and Lorraine, France, respectively. Father Alphonse LeQuilleuc was the first pastor. Maurice, La. founded circa 1870, was incorporated as a town in 1911 and still bears the name of its founder.
 
Erected by Donated by the Dr. Paul O. Villien, Sr. Family.
 
Location. 30° 6.445′ N, 92° 7.51′ W. Marker is in Maurice, Louisiana, in Vermilion Parish. Marker is on Maurice Avenue (U.S. 167), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the St. Alphonsus Catholic Church at the western edge of the parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8700 Maurice Avenue, Maurice LA 70555, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bayou Vermilion (approx. 8.9 miles away); Old Catholic Cemetery (approx. 9.2 miles away); Abbeville (approx. 9.2 miles away); Saint Mary Magdalen Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); Pére Antoine Desiré Mégret (approx. 9.2 miles away);
St. Alphonsus Church image. Click for full size.
By Karl Stelly, 2009
2. St. Alphonsus Church
St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, Maurice, Louisiana
Louisiana Story (approx. 9.3 miles away); Est. 1885 St. Mary Congregational Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); The Old Masonic Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  St Alphonsus Catholic Church. (Submitted on January 6, 2010.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.LandmarksNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 950 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement