Winchester in Frederick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Opequon Presbyterian Church
This historic church was established by Scotch-Irish and German settlers who migrated from eastern Pennsylvania in the early 1730’s. William Hoge donated two acres of land for a meeting house, and an additional two acres for a burying ground. Two log and two stone houses of worship have occupied this site. The congregation was officially organized as a Presbyterian Church circa 1736 under oversight of the Donegal (Pa.) Presbytery. Named Opequon Church after the original name of the area “Opekon settlement” it grew in size and influence. By the time of the French and Indian War in the 1750s it had become the primary place of public worship within a wide area. Tradition holds that George Washington worshiped here on occasion during that time. During the Revolutionary War Opequon Church made a major contribution to the effort, and seven known veterans are buried here. In 1790 a new stone sanctuary replaced the two earlier log structures.
By the early 1800s Opequon’s prominence as the area’s leading place of worship had declined, and for many years its membership ebbed and flowed. During the Civil War years the first and second battles of Kernstown were fought near and around the church, and the buildings and cemeteries were badly damaged. Worship services were discontinued in
A Renewed Vision
Out of the past comes motivation and direction for the future. The hardy Scotch-Irish descendants refused to accept defeat, and in 1889 plans and financing were arranged for reconstruction. In 1897 the present sanctuary was completed, and is built on the same foundation as the 1790 stone church. Often called the “Mother Church of the Valley,” the congregation has set forth over the years 43 ministers and 8 missionaries, whose families were nurtured here. Sunday schools and chapels were organized and supported in the surrounding countryside. Today, Opequon Presbyterian Church is a vibrant, caring, and growing congregation, continuing to serve community, nation, and God. Our heritage over four centuries inspires and challenges us as we continue to glorify God in this place.
For more information you are invited to contact the pastor or visit our church office
Location. 39° 8.364′ N, 78° 11.71′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia, in Frederick County. Marker is on Opequon Church Touch for map. Located in front of the Church in the north side parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Opequon Church Lane, Winchester VA 22602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1790 Stone Church (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of the Many Soldiers of the Revolution (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Kernstown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kernstown Battles (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Kernstown (about 300 feet away); The First Battle of Kernstown (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named First Battle of Kernstown (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Second Battle of Kernstown (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Pritchard House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The First Battle of Kernstown (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
More about this marker. In addition to artwork and an untitled drawing of early settlers appearing to prepare church plans, there is “An 1877 painting of the ruins of the stone church, built in 1790 and burned in 1873.”
Also see . . .
1. History of the Opequon Presbyterian Church (Submitted on September 20, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Church's National Historic Register Nomination. (PDF) The oldest known marked grave in the Shenandoah Valley is located in the cemetery. (Submitted on September 20, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,350 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 20, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.