Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Milford Volunteer Fire Department

Est. 1838

 
 
Milford Volunteer Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
1. Milford Volunteer Fire Department Marker
Inscription.
This bell obtained by Arctic Engine Company, No. 1, in 1887, served as the City of Milford’s first fire alarm warning system from 1887 into the 1930’s.
It summoned the town’s volunteer firemen to the call of duty when an emergency arose. It was located in all of Arctic Engine Company’s fire stations, most recently at Fire Headquarters Station 1 on New Haven Ave.
It is now at its final resting place here on the town green, so all the residents of Milford can share this piece of history.
Therefore, we the six volunteer fire companies of the City of Milford, do hereby dedicate the installation of this historic bell to all of the deceased members of the volunteer and career fire companies, who served the City of Milford since 1838.
Dedicated, June 14, 1992, by the Volunteers.

[ reverse side ]
This Monument Is Erected
In Memory Of All
Deceased Volunteer Firemen Of
The Milford Fire Department
By The Volunteers
Arctic Engine Co. No. 1
Fort Trumbull Beach Fire Co. No. 2
Myrtle Beach Engine Co. No. 3
Devon Hose Co. No. 4
Woodmont Engine Co. No. 5
Point Beach Engine Co. No. 6

James A. Devico 10-25-1980 Co. 6
Edgar A. Brunette 10-28-1973 Co. 1
Adelbert Matthews 1-17-1963 Co. 4
Thomas
Milford Volunteer Fire Department Marker and Historic Bell image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
2. Milford Volunteer Fire Department Marker and Historic Bell
Inscription on the bell:
McShane Bell Foundry
Henry McShane & Co.
Baltimore, MD.
Trade Mark
1887.
E. Maher Jr. 1-19-1953 Co. 1
Thomas R. Mahoney 1-6-1953 Co. 2
M. William Powers 11-20-1947 Co. 6 Those Who Died
Answering Their Last Alarm

 
Erected 1992 by The Six Volunteer Fire Companies of the City of Milford.
 
Location. 41° 13.293′ N, 73° 3.494′ W. Marker is in Milford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Connecticut Route 162) and Armory Lane, on the left when traveling north on Broad Street. Touch for map. Located on the Milford Green. Marker is in this post office area: Milford CT 06460, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milford World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Milford Memorial Flag Pole (within shouting distance of this marker); Milford (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milford Korea - Vietnam Monument (about 700 feet away); Landing Site (about 700 feet away); Milford Memorial Stone Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eells - Stow House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
Categories. Heroes
 
Milford Volunteer Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
3. Milford Volunteer Fire Department Marker
reverse side
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,554 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement