Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Clinton in Rock County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

In the Name of God. Amen.

 
 
In the Name of God Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, September 23, 2009
1. In the Name of God Marker
Inscription. On this spot and in a small frame church known as the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Clinton, Rock County, Wisconsin, gathered on the Fifth Day of June, 1860, the following named ministers of the gospel:
L. P. Esbuörn · T. N. Hasselquist
P. Anderson · O. Andrewsen
O. C. T. Andreen · Erland Carlson
Jonas Swensson · M. F. Hakanson
O. J. Hatlestad · P. A. Cederstam
Erik Norelius · A. Andreen
P. Asbjörnsen · L. H. Norem
P. H. Pedersen · P. Beckman
Peter Carlson · J. P. C. Boren
together with these laymen:
P. Palmquist · B. Olson
Chr. Newhouse · E. Dahlgren
Swan Olson · J. Nyman
S. Gabrielson · John Jonason
J. Erlander · C. J. Hansen
J. Engberg · F. H. Osmunsen
and did
then and there organize the Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Auqustana Synod, from 1894 known as the Evangelical Lutheran Auqustana Synod. This marker was erected by the said Synod on the Fifth Day of June, 1930, the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Clinton, Rock County, Wisconsin, graciously donating in perpetuity the site for this monument, to commemorate the goodness of God to the early fathers and to their descendants during the past seventy years, and to pledge unto the Lord our faithfulness and that of our offspring for days yet to come. Humbly owning our sins and shortcomings
In the Name of God Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, September 23, 2009
2. In the Name of God Marker
of the past, we plead that it might be given unto the Holy Spirit to keep us in the true faith, to cause our love to the kingdom of God greatly to increase and our efforts for the same continually to multiply.
Soli Deo Gloria.

 
Erected 1930 by the Evangelical Lutheran Auqustana Synod.
 
Location. 42° 29.626′ N, 88° 51.899′ W. Marker is near Clinton, Wisconsin, in Rock County. Marker can be reached from South Bergen Road north of East State Line Road. Touch for map. Marker is in the Jefferson Prairie Lutheran Church Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton WI 53525, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jefferson Prairie Settlement (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Skavlem–Williams Log Cabin (approx. 4.4 miles away); Black Hawk War (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Medal of Honor (approx. 6.1 miles away); Home of Governor Harvey (approx. 6.6 miles away); Wisconsin's First Aviator (approx. 6.7 miles away); Soldier of The American Revolution (approx. 7.2 miles away); Allen Family (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Also see . . .  Jefferson Prairie Settlement. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on January 10, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 715 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement