Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Radkey House

 
 
The Radkey House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 17, 2007
1. The Radkey House Marker
Inscription. A typical post-Civil War Austin dwelling, built about 1870 two blocks from the State Capitol for merchant and metalsmith Bernard Radkey (1846-83) and his wife, Mary Cummings Radkey (1851-96). Structure is of cypress wood. Radkey served as a city alderman (councilman) until just prior to his early death. Heirs enlarged and occupied the home until 1973. It was moved here and restored in 1974 by the Franklin Savings and Loan Association.
 
Erected 1974 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15473.)
 
Location. 30° 18.536′ N, 97° 45.059′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3720 Jefferson St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seiders Oaks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Mabry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Major John B. Jones (approx. 0.6 miles away); Texas and the Civil War State Military Board (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Steele (approx. 0.6 miles away); Adjutants General (approx. 0.6 miles away); Texas in the Civil War (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacob Leser House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Radkey House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 17, 2007
2. The Radkey House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement