near Pocotaligo in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Frampton Lines
John Edward Frampton House
(Reverse): This was the site of "The Hill" Plantation, owned by John Edward Frampton (1810-1896), cotton planter, state senator 1842-45, and delegate from Prince William Parish to the Secession Convention. The main houses here and at Frampton's other plantations in what was then Beaufort District were burned by Federal troops in early 1865. This house was built in 1868.
Erected 2002 by The Lowcountry and Resort Island and Tourism Commission. (Marker Number 27-19.)
Location. 32° 38.237′ N, 80° 51.794′ W. Marker is in near Pocotaligo, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is on Kings Highway (U.S. 17/21), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Lowcountry Visitor Center. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the " The Frampton Line " (approx. 0.6 miles away); Southern Live Oak Tree (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Battle of Pocotaligo (approx. 0.8 miles away); General Robert E. Lee (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sheldon Union Academy (approx. 4.2 miles away); Prince William's Parish Church (approx. 5 miles away); Church of Prince William's Parish (approx. 5 miles away); William Bull (approx. 5 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,439 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on January 11, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 5, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.