Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandyston Township in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hainesville, New Jersey

 
 
Hainesville, New Jersey Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom
1. Hainesville, New Jersey Marker
Inscription. The original name of "Sandyston" was changed to honor N.J. Governor Haines in 1845. This hamlet was created on a 1,000 acre plot purchased from the Gardner Tract by Simon Courtright before the Revolutionary War. Ownership passed to Peter Hotalen, then John Shay, and in 1825 to Parshall Howell who opened the first hotel and established a post-village with mail delivered by a four-horse stage. John D. Everitt was the first schoolmaster in 1815. The "Shaytown Cemetery" was created in 1812 on lands shared by Benjamin Depue and Timothy Shay. The "Reformed Church" was built in 1855.
 
Erected 2005 by Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders and Sussex County Historic Marker Committee.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders marker series.
 
Location. 41° 15.083′ N, 74° 48.229′ W. Marker is in Sandyston Township, New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Layton-Hainesville Road (County Road 645) and DeGroat Road West (County Road 675) when traveling south on Layton-Hainesville Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 133 Route 645, Branchville NJ 07826, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5
Shaytown Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom, April 25, 2010
2. Shaytown Cemetery
miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Westbrook - Bell House (approx. 2 miles away); Old Mine Road (approx. 2 miles away); Layton, New Jersey (approx. 2.7 miles away); Wyoming-Minisink Path (approx. 2.9 miles away in Pennsylvania); Brick House Village (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Village of Bevans (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dingman's Ferry (approx. 4 miles away in Pennsylvania); Gifford Pinchot (approx. 4.4 miles away in Pennsylvania). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandyston Township.
 
Also see . . .  Marker is at the Sandyston Community Center. The verbiage on this historic marker was compiled by Patricia Haggerty Frato, Sandyston Township's appointed Historian, and president of the Sandyston Township Historical Society. (Submitted on January 13, 2010, by Patricia Haggerty Frato of Hainesville, N.j..) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Lands of Hainesville, NJ image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom, April 25, 2010
3. Lands of Hainesville, NJ
Former "Reformed Church built in 1855" image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom, April 25, 2010
4. Former "Reformed Church built in 1855"
The Reformed Church, later served as the site of the Sandyston Township Volunteer Fire Department and is currently part of the St. Thomas the Apostle Church
Historic Farm in Hainesville, New Jersey image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom, April 25, 2010
5. Historic Farm in Hainesville, New Jersey
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,259 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 13, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 13, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement