Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson

 
 
N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 13, 2010
1. N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson Marker
Inscription.
N.E. Corner
Adobe Wall of Spanish
Presidio of Tucson

Marked 1926 by D.A.R.

 
Erected 1926 by Tucson chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail, and the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 32° 13.474′ N, 110° 58.398′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Church Avenue and Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is inside the adobe walls at the southwest corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: Washington Street, Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presidio Wall & Pithouse (a few steps from this marker); Siqueiros-Jácome House (within shouting distance of this marker); Court Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stork's Nest (within shouting distance of this marker); Council Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meyer Street (about 400 feet away); La Casa Cordova (about 500 feet away); Plaza Militar (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
Regarding N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson.
N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 13, 2010
2. N.E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson
A reconstruction of the 10 feet high adobe walls was built at the original northeast corner of the presidio.
In 1922 the Tucson chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a granite boulder marked with the caption "South-East corner of the Old Adobe Wall that surrounded Tucson prior to 1845."
In 1926 the DAR placed three more markers to identify the other three corners of the original Tucson Presidio.
The marker on the northeast corner was in place until after 1976, but then disappeared. In 2007 it was found in the basement of the Historical Society still embedded in concrete. The Tucson Chapter, with the cooperation of the City of Tucson, has placed it on the exact spot where the ruins of the northeast corner of the wall are still visible.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. MilitarySettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement