Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Edward’s University Main Building
Serves institution founded in 1873 by congregation of Holy Cross, as male Catholic school. First pupils were local farm boys. In 1921 college-level courses were added. Was rechartered in 1925 as a university. During World War II, served as an academy and flying school. Admitted women in 1966.
Erected 1972 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14821.)
Location. 30° 13.784′ N, 97° 45.3′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from South Congress Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3001 S Congress Ave, Austin TX 78704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Approximate Site Reached By the Espinosa-Olivares-Aguirre Expedition (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Magruder, C.S.A (approx. 0.6 miles away); Doyle Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Reuter House (approx. one Walter and Mae Simms House (approx. one mile away); Texas Dental Association (approx. 1.1 miles away); Green Pastures (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . .
1. St. Edward's University. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Handbook of Texas Online. St. Edward's University (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 748 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.