Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J.P. Schneider Store
The basement of the Schneider store contained meats, vats of wine and whiskey, and molding cheeses, and the upper two stories housed large stocks of food and clothing. Schneider also operated a wagon yard south and west of the store, complete with two camp houses for travelers. After Schneider’s death the store was managed by a son, F. Ralph Schneider, who added a saloon in the rear of the building after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. Business operations ceased in 1935, and the structure has since housed electrical and lumber companies, and an art gallery. It has been damaged twice by fire in recent years, and is still owned by the Schneider family.
Erected 1974 by the Texas
Location. 30° 15.914′ N, 97° 44.871′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 W 2nd St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Congress Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away); Shoal Creek (approx. ¼ mile away); Austin, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Site of First Methodist Church of Austin (approx. ¼ mile away); Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Seaholm Power Plant (approx. 0.3 miles away); O. Henry Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 881 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.