Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cambridge City in Wayne County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Overbeck House and Studio

 
 
Overbeck House and Studio Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 9, 2006
1. Overbeck House and Studio Marker
Inscription. Indiana's first art pottery, a nationally-recognized product of the American Arts and Crafts Movement, was produced 1911–1955 by the Overbeck sisters. Their 1930s Federal Style house, one block south, was listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1976.
 
Erected 1992 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Jerry and Phyllis Mattheis. (Marker Number 89.1992.1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 48.77′ N, 85° 9.716′ W. Marker is in Cambridge City, Indiana, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 40) and South Pearl Street, on the left when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cambridge City IN 47327, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Iron Brigade Commander (within shouting distance of this marker); Cambridge City (approx. half a mile away); East Germantown Civil War Band (approx. 1.4 miles away); Indiana’s First Woman’s Rights Convention (approx. 2.5 miles
Overbeck House and Studio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 9, 2006
2. Overbeck House and Studio
away); Oliver P. Morton Home (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cambridge City.
 
Also see . . .  Overbeck Art Pottery History. From the Museum of Oberbeck Art Pottery at the Cambridge City Public Library. (Submitted on April 16, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,517 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of Museum • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement