Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Loudoun

 
 
Fort Loudoun Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
1. Fort Loudoun Marker
Inscription. Here in May 1756, overlooking the frontier town of Winchester, construction began on Fort Loudoun during the period of the French and Indian War (Seven Year’s War in Europe). The fort, named for John Campbell, earl of Loudoun, was a square fortification with four bastions constructed of earth, wood, and stone. Col. George Washington, commander of the Virginia Regiment, designed the fort and supervised its construction until 1756. It served as Washington’s command center for a series of forts authorized by the Virginia House of Burgesses and built on the frontier that extended from the Potomac River to North Carolina. A well, dug through limestone bedrock, survives.
 
Erected 2006 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q 4-k.)
 
Location. 39° 11.341′ N, 78° 9.833′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Loudoun Street and Peyton Street, on the right when traveling south on Loudoun Street. Touch for map. About 200 feet north of the intersection of Peyton and Loudoun Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 419 Loudoun Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Loudoun (a few steps
Site of Markers for Fort Loudoun along Loudoun Street image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
2. Site of Markers for Fort Loudoun along Loudoun Street
from this marker); Washington's Well (a few steps from this marker); Site of Fort Loudoun (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson’s Headquarters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Jackson’s Headquarters (about 500 feet away); Loyal Quaker and Brave Slave (about 700 feet away); George Washington Lot (approx. 0.2 miles away); President William McKinley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sheridan’s Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mary Greenhow Lee (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Loudoun - One of Washington's Forts. Includes photographs of the well mentioned on the marker. (Submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Additional comments.
Two Fort Loudoun Markers image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, June 14, 2010
3. Two Fort Loudoun Markers

1. Fort Loudoun - A Popular Name
The name Loudoun was applied to several frontier forts during the colonial era. Confusing to the present day historian, there are forts named after the Earl of Loudoun in Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina.
    — Submitted September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesWar, French and Indian
 
Fort Loudoun Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 28, 2009
4. Fort Loudoun Marker
in front of Baker-Hardy House, 419 Loudoun Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,996 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement