Meriden in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Meriden / Lexington Alarm
1661 – Meriden area first settled when Jonathan Gilbert is granted land by Connecticut Colony and employs Edward Higbee to operate an inn.
1670 – Greater part of present-day Meriden lands placed under jurisdiction of Wallingford.
1728 – Separate church parish, named after Gilbert’s farm Merridan, is established by the General Assembly.
1806 – Meriden separated from Wallingford and organized as a town.
1867 – Meriden incorporated as a city.
1922 – Town and City of Meriden consolidated.
Since the 19ty Century Meriden has demonstrated itself to be a versatile manufacturing community. Its silver industry has grown to such proportions that Meriden is nicknamed the “Silver City of the World.”
*Buried in Broad Street Cemetery
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, City of Meriden, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 31.906′ N, 72° 47.658′ W. Marker is in Meriden, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Charles Street, on the left when traveling north on Broad Street. Touch for map. Located next to the Broad Street Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Meriden CT 06450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Masonic Lodge in Meriden (a few steps from this marker); Count Casimir Pulaski (within shouting distance of this marker); Meriden Korea – Vietnam Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Meriden Spanish American War Memorial 201st Anniversary of the Marine Corps (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gold Star Association Memorial (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Meriden.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,220 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.