Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Swedish Evangelical Free Church

 
 
Site of Swedish Evangelical Free Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
1. Site of Swedish Evangelical Free Church Marker
Inscription. Worship services started in 1889 by Swedish immigrants led to founding of Swedish Evangelical Free Church in Decker community (10 mi. E) in July 1892. A similar Swedish congregation originated in April 1904 at Elroy (20 mi. SE). In 1923 the two congregations merged, relocated in Austin, and in 1925 built a church on this site. Swedish was spoken in services until the 1930s. Renamed “First Evangelical Free Church” in 1952, the fellowship erected a new building on Red River street in 1962, after selling this property to the State of Texas.
 
Erected 1977 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15046.)
 
Location. 30° 16.736′ N, 97° 44.42′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of West 17th Street and Colorado Street, on the right when traveling south on West 17th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carrington-Covert House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scottish Rite Temple (about 400 feet away); Moses Austin (about 500 feet away); Gethsemane Church (about 600 feet away); State Bar of Texas (about 800 feet away); Wahrenberger House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Price Daniel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Swedish Central Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 48 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement