Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
"Winchester is a very pleasant place to stay in, sir."
During the Civil War, Winchester changed hands many times, as Union and Confederate forces occupied, fought over, and won or lost possession of the town. Each side occupied Glen Burnie several times because of the proximity of the North Western Turnpike (present-day U.S. Rte. 50) between Winchester and Romney (now West Virginia) and good water from springs here. In June 1861, Southern-minded Marylanders encamped here and formed the 1st Maryland Infantry, C.S.A. They later fought the 1st Maryland Infantry, U.S.A. at the Battle of Front Royal on May 23rd, 1862.
Tides of blue and gray swept across the hills and fields of Glen Burnie during all three major battles for Winchester in 1862, 1863, and 1864. Combat damage and occupation caused the farm’s agricultural productivity and value to decline as livestock, farm buildings, fences and timber were taken or destroyed. After the war, family members went west to begin new lives, homes, and fortunes, and eventually left Glen Burnie as a legacy to the Winchester community.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 11.226′ N, 78° 10.643′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Amherst Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in the parking lot for the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Amhurst Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Glen Burnie (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd (approx. 0.3 miles away); A "Malicious Design" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Daniel Morgan House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Catherine B. Conrad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Little-Holiday House (approx. half a mile away); Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax of Cameron (approx. half a mile away); Braddock Street Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sheridan’s Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); Handley Library (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
More about this marker. In the center, a drawing carries the caption, “This illustration from a contemporary newspaper shows members
On the upper right is a photograph captioned, “Glen Burnie looked much this way when, on Christmas Eve, 1862, Cornelia McDonald living across the road saw a regiment of Federal Cavalry ‘take possession of Mr. Wood’s yard and beautiful grounds, attracted no doubt by the grass which is still green in many places’.”
On the lower right is a drawing captioned, “One of three springs on the original James Wood homestead, this spring located on the north side of Amherst Street, supplied water to Winchester since its beginning and to many a soldier, blue and gray.”
Also see . . .
1. Glen Burnie - Museum of the Shenandoah. (Submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. 1st Maryland Infantry, CSA. (Submitted on October 25, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,799 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 25, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.