Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hazen in Warren County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Presbyterian Church of Oxford

 
 
First Presbyterian Church of Oxford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dorine Ruth Emery, January 20, 2010
1. First Presbyterian Church of Oxford Marker
Inscription.
Resolution

On motion by Mrs. Dickey, seconded by Mr. Miller the following resolution was unanimously adopted by the Board of Chosen Freeholders of the County of Warren at a meeting held March 9, 1994.

Resolution honoring the membership of the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford, past and present, for their contribution to the cultural and historical richness of County Warren.

WHEREAS; as early as 1729 there assembled, in the area known today as Hazen, in various homes, the residents that were to form the "First Church" then of the Township of Greenwich, County Hunterdon: and
WHEREAS; these industrious colonists and pioneers caused to be erected a log church in 1734 in the area then known variously as Upper Greenwich, Greenwich Upon Delaware and Oxford: and
WHEREAS; on March 15, 1738, the area became part of County Morris; and
WHEREAS; though their efforts said church grew and prospered and early services were performed by such distinguished personages as The Rev. James Campbell, the Rev. David Brainerd and the Rev. Daniel Lawrence; and
WHEREAS; in 1749 the congregation affiliated with the Presbyter of New Brunswick; and
WHEREAS; on June 8, 1753 the area became part of County Sussex: and
WHEREAS; IN 1754 THE township of Oxford was erected as part of County Sussex:
First Presbyterian Church of Oxford, entrance and marker. image. Click for full size.
By Dorine Ruth Emery, January 20, 2010
2. First Presbyterian Church of Oxford, entrance and marker.
and
WHEREAS; in 1806 a new frame church was constructed to replace the log edifice; and
WHEREAS; on November 20, 1824 the area became part of County Warren; and
WHEREAS; in 1856 the present brick structure was constructed in the same location making the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford the oldest Presbyterian Church on the same site in County Warren, and
WHEREAS; said church was to become the mother church for the Belvidere Presbyterian Church and the Second Presbyterian Church of Oxford and
WHEREAS; said area became part of the Township of White which was erected in 1913; and
WHEREAS; the members of the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford have made many contributions, both spiritual and temporal, to the culture and history of County Warren, and
WHEREAS; the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford recognizes the year of 1744 as its formal organizational year;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED,that I, Freeholder Director Jacob C Matthenius, on behalf of the Board of Chosen Freeholders and the residents of the County Warren, do honor all the communicant members from the initiating founders through the current membership of the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford for the cultural and historical contributions they have made to the quality of life in the County Warren, Township Oxford and Township White as they celebrate the 250th anniversary during
First Presbyterian Church of Oxford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dorine Ruth Emery, January 20, 2010
3. First Presbyterian Church of Oxford Marker
the year of 1994. Jacob C Matthenius, Director Board of Chosen Freeholders.
 
Erected 1994.
 
Location. 40° 49.072′ N, 75° 2.853′ W. Marker is in Hazen, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from Brass Castle Road (County Road 624) 0.1 miles south of South Bridgeville Road (County Road 519). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford NJ 07863, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Shoe Tree (approx. 1.4 miles away); County Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Court House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Warren County Purple Heart Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Warren County Veterans Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Belvidere (approx. 1.7 miles away); John Nicoll (approx. 2 miles away); Shippen Manor (approx. 2.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Plaque is on the inner side of the front entrance way to the church. It can be seen from the road, but not easily. To be read it must be viewed from the inner side of the entrance way, which is open at all times.
 
Also see . . .  History of the First Presbyterian Church of Oxford at Hazen. (Submitted on January 22, 2010.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Dorine Ruth Emery of Washington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 975 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Dorine Ruth Emery of Washington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement