Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Third Site For Travis County Government
Mormon settlers in 1839 built the first jail and also the first gristmill. Congress in January 1840 formally created the county, which by then had 856 people. 5 forts were in operation to guard against Comanche Indians whose raids went on as late as 1863.
Dams in the Colorado River provide industrial power and create fine recreation lakes. State government, University of Texas, Bergstrom Air Force Base, public institutions and private businesses employ working forces from the county population of 237,000.
The county’s 125th anniversary was attained 1964 under the administration of Judge J.H. Watson and Commissioners Robert Barker, Lawson Boothe, N.L. Gault and Arthur Swenson. Historic county emblem was restored and sponsored by County Auditor Weldon’s Horton flag was designed by Mrs. Jessie McIlroy Smith.
Erected 1965 by the State Historical Survey Committee
Location. 30° 16.398′ N, 97° 44.691′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of West 11th Street and Guadalupe Street, on the right when traveling south on West 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zachary Taylor Fulmore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wooldridge Park (about 400 feet away); Central Christian Church (about 500 feet away); Brizendine House (about 500 feet away); Austin's Moonlight Towers (about 600 feet away); 1933 Austin Public Library (about 600 feet away); Hirshfeld Cottage (about 600 feet away); Hirshfeld House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 658 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.