Webberville in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Webberville Ebenezer Baptist Church
In 1868 Matthew Duty donated one acre of land here for the purpose of building a church for the area’s recently emancipated African Americans. That year the Webberville Ebenezer Baptist Church was organized as a mission of the St. John Regular Missionary Baptist Association. Charter members included Thomas Reads, Suns Johnson, Lowens Berry, and Mary Green. The Rev. Wesley Barrow served as Ebenezer’s first pastor.
In 1956 several members of the congregation left Ebenezer Baptist to form a church in Austin which became known as the New Light Ebenezer Baptist Church. Ebenezer Baptist remains active despite the relocation of many of Webberville’s families to nearby urban centers. Former members continue to gather here on special occasions and holidays.
Erected 1993 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14537.)
Location. 30° 13.517′ N, 97° 30.835′ W. Marker is in Webberville, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Weber Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manor TX 78653, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Webberville (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph J. Manor Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); David Crawford Edmiston (approx. 1½ miles away); James Euwin Edmiston (approx. 1½ miles away); George Self (approx. 1½ miles away); Site of the Home of Col. Robert M. Coleman (approx. 2.9 miles away); Union Lee Baptist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Haynie Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Webberville.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 885 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on April 22, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.