Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wesley United Methodist Church
The first building for the Wesley United Methodist Church (Wesley Chapel Church) was a stone sanctuary with a dirt floor built in 1867 at Ninth and Neches streets. A new edifice, known as “Old Wesley on the Hill”, was constructed in 1882. The Site served the congregation until 1929, when the church moved to new facilities here.
One of the leading black churches in Texas, this congregation has actively participated in community projects, mission work and educational leadership. Church facilities have been used for classes of Samuel Huston College and for formal organization of the West Texas Methodist Conference. The churchís programs and dramatic growth continue to reflect the ideals and religious dedication of its founders.
Erected 1982 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14096.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1164 San Bernard St, Austin TX 78702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thompson Home (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Carver Branch Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Desegregation of Texas High Schools (about 600 feet away); State Cemetery of Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Tom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Winslow Turner (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Weedon (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Allison York (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 667 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.