Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

West Hill

 
 
West Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
1. West Hill Marker
Inscription. Tradition says architect Abner Cook built this house for Reuben and Mary Runner, about 1855. Some later owners were F.W. Chandler and H.E. Shelley, lawyers, 1863-1909; the May Thompson family, 1917-69. Originally the house faced east, pre-empting the entire 1700 block, Rio Grande to West Avenue, with a separate kitchen, carriage house, other structures on the grounds. Severe changes and decay preceded the beginning of restoration by the Travis Williamson family in 1970.
 
Erected 1974 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6458.)
 
Location. 30° 16.872′ N, 97° 44.77′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from West Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is at the back of the house, which was the original front of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1703 West Ave., Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Edward Mandell House Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Hugh B. Hancock House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Larmour House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denny-Holliday House
West Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
2. West Hill Marker
(about 400 feet away); Herblin – Shoe House (about 500 feet away); Goodall Wooten House (about 700 feet away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith-Clark-Smith House (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement