Near Creedmoor in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. Jacob Tally Wilhite
Wilhite earned his medical degree in 1903 and served an internship at John Sealy Hospital in Galveston. That same year, he became assistant to the director of the State Lunatic Asylum (now Austin State Hospital). During his tenure there, he began studying rabies and its treatment. The state legislature appropriated funds for his research in 1904 and Wilhite became director of the new institution, called the Pasteur Institute of Austin, 1905.
Wilhite's research soon led him to the discovery of a stain to detect rabies in body tissue. He became a leading authority on the disease and was known throughout the world. In 1927 the state legislature again appropriated funds for the Pasteur Institute for the construction of a new facility at 5th and Trinity Streets. Dr. Wilhite contracted influenza and died before its completion, and the building was dedicated in his honor.
Erected 1991 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14660.)
Location. Touch for map. In the Carl Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Buda TX 78610, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pilot Knob (was approx. 4.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Live Oak Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Santiago del Valle Grant (approx. 5.2 miles away); Boggy Creek Masonic Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Manchaca United Methodist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Education in Manchaca (approx. 5.4 miles away); Cementerio Mexicano de Maria de la Luz (approx. 5½ miles away).
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. Jacob T. Wilhite (Submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 668 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?