Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880ís

 
 
Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880ís Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 3, 2007
1. Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880ís Marker
Inscription. Built, 1882-1883, to replace the previous Capitol, which had burned in 1881. Until the building was completed, the orphaned Texas government conducted business in the county courthouse and jail across Congress avenue.

The three-story brick building – third Texas Capitol in Austin – was used five years. During this time it witnessed the passage of strong legislation to aid education and to halt fence-cutting, which, in 1883, had exploded into a range war. Governors John Ireland (1883-1887) and Sul Ross (1887-1891) both served in this building.

In 1883, the University of Texas held classes here for its 218 students until campus facilities were completed. On another occasion, cattle baron Charles Goodnight loaded $100,000 in cash in a wheel barrow and had it hauled to the Capitol to force settlement of a land dispute, but officials refused his offer.

After the present Capitol was finished, 1888, this structure was used as home of Austin High School. Studios for music teachers, and for various offices. When it burned, Sept, 30, 1899, curious spectators sat on the fence around the new Capitol to watch volunteer firemen, hampered by low water pressure fight the blaze. The old building was razed soon after and the bricks were used in structures throughout Austin.
 
Erected
Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880ís Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Heinich, August 24, 2014
2. Site of Temporary Texas State Capitol of 1880ís Marker
1967 by the State Historical Commission.
 
Location. 30° 16.34′ N, 97° 44.49′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 11th Street and Congress Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Classes of the University of Texas Law School (a few steps from this marker); Old Bakery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Woman Suffrage Movement in Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); African Americans in the Texas Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Edmund Jackson Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor James Edward Ferguson August 31, 1871 -September 21, 1944 (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Andrew Jackson Hamilton (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Elisha Marshall Pease (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 971 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on August 24, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement