Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
and in Memory of Lutheran Pioneers.
Erected by members and friends of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church
Winchester, Va. 1938.
These walls are the sacred ruins of the first Lutheran Church erected in Winchester - "Die teutsche Lutherische Gemeine in Winchester in der grafschafft Freiderich in dem staate Virginien."
The land was given by Thomas Lord Fairfax, by patent dated May 15, 1753, to David Dieterich, Jacob Seibert, Christopher Lambert and George Michael Laubinger, trustees "for the use of the people called Lutherans in the County of Frederick." The corner stone was laid April 16, 1764. Walls and roof completed in 1772. Building fully completed in 1793. Destroyed by fire September 27, 1854.
The congregation was admitted to the Ministerium of Pennsylvania in 1762, and the Rev. Carl Frederich Wildbahn was the first authorized minister. He was forced by the Indians, whose depredations interfered with his work and the building of a church, to retire to Conewango, Pa. Only visiting ministers thereafter, preached here. Among them Major-General the Rev. Peter Muhlenburg of Woodstock, Va. until the Rev. Christian Streit became the regular pastor on July 19, 1785. He had served as a chaplain of the 8th Va. Regt. Continental Line during the Revolution and was the only dissenting
A document written in Latin, subscribed by the Rev. Johann Caspar Kirchner, officiating minister, Ludwig Adamus, scribe, and Antony Ludi, school master, placed in the corner stone preserved the names of the founder as follows: Thomas Schmidt, Nicolaus Schrach, Christoph Heuschel, David Dietrich, Christoph Wetzel, Peter Helfenstein, Geo. Michael Laubinger, Heinrich Becker, Jacob Braun, Stephen Fraenchel, Christoph Autith, Tobia Otto, Eberhard Doring, Andreas Friedlt, Christoph Heintz, Imanual Burger, Dewald Hiegel, Jacob Trautwein, Joh. Sigmond Haenli, Johannes Levley, Johannes Lentz, Christian Schumagher, Michael Rodger, Michael Warning, Christoph Lamert, Samuel Wendel, Michael Gluck, Julius Spickert, Balthaser Po, Jacob Koffenharber, Heinrich Weller, Christian Newberger.
Notable contributors to the building fund were Col. George William Fairfax, Col. William Byrd III of Westover and
"Tell ye your children of it, and let our children tell their children and their children another generation."
Joel 1. 3.
This "Old Church Wall" of the original Lutheran church
was stabilized and restored through the generosity of
the members of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church
and the citizens of
Winchester, Frederick County, and Clarke County
with special acknowledgment to
Boy Scout Troop 1
Mount Hebron Cemetery Board of Managers
Preservation of Historic Winchester
R. A. Restorations
The Shockey Companies
Woltz Charitable Foundation
Erected 1938 by Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Location. 39° 10.998′ N, 78° 9.641′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Lane and East Boscawan Street, on the right when traveling north on East Lane. Touch for map. Located in the Lutheran Church section of the Mt. Hebron Cemetery. Entrance to the Cemetery is at the intersection of Boscawen Street and East Lane. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 East Boscawen Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War Soldiers in Mt. Hebron Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Land Grant (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob Baker Lot And Virginia City Addition (about 700 feet away); The Virginia Woolen Company and Lewis Jones Knitting Mill (about 800 feet away); Major General Daniel Morgan (about 800 feet away); Old Stone Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away); Admiral Richard Evelyn Byrd (about 800 feet away); North Carolina Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,459 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.