Redding in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Visitor Center (1893 Pavilion)
—Putnam Memorial State Park —
The upstairs was used as the original park museum. The building was dismantled board by board in 2005, and reconstructed into a four-season climate-controlled visitor center.
Erected 2009 by Friends & Neighbors of Putnam Park. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. 41° 20.316′ N, 73° 22.888′ W. Marker is in Redding, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Putnam Park Road (Connecticut Route 58), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in Putnam Memorial State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Redding CT 06896, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Putnam’s Escape from Horseneck” (a few steps from this marker); Camp Guardhouse (a few steps from this marker); Israel Putnam (a few steps from this marker); Putnam Memorial State Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Monument Company Street (Fireback Row) (about 400 feet away); Lake McDougall (about 400 feet away); Cemetery / Command Officer’s Quarters (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Redding.
Also see . . . Putnam Memorial State Park, “Connecticut’s Valley Forge” by the Friends & Neighbors of P. (Submitted on January 25, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 860 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 25, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.