Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
In 1904, ground was broken for the present church. Local architects Miller & Kenard designed the Mediterranean Revival style building completed in 1907. The new structure incorporated several stained glass windows, the communion rail and lectern from the orignal church. Over the years, parishioners have made numerous gifts to complete the interior decoration of the building.
For more than a century, St. Andrew's has remained a city church. Its outreach helped establish St. John's and St. Mary's Episcopal churches, Metropolitan Ministries and the Seafarer's Mission. In 1996, St. Andrew's further deepened its city roots by purchasing the 1929 Western Union Art Deco building at the corner of Twiggs and Marion Streets.
As one of Tampa's most historic churches, St. Andrew's embraces its role of continued service to the community.
Erected 2004 by The Vestry of St. Andrews Episcopal Church, The Tampa Historical Society,
Location. 27° 56.949′ N, 82° 27.38′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on Madison Street near North Marion Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Lt. Baldomero Lopez (within shouting distance of this marker); Hillsborough Lodge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial II (about 300 feet away); Sacred Heart Church (about 300 feet away); Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial I (about 400 feet away); 1851 † 1891 (about 400 feet away); Federal Building (about 500 feet away); Memoria In Aeterna, 1911 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,571 times since then and 153 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 26, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on June 22, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on January 26, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on June 22, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.