Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newtown in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

In Commemoration

 
 
In Commemoration Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 20, 2010
1. In Commemoration Marker
Inscription.
1732 ---- 1932
In Commemoration Of
The Two Hundredth Birthday Of
George Washington
----
Rochambeau
Established a Camp Here
June 28 To July 1, 1781
----
Soldiers Commanded By
Lafayette
Camped At This Spot
Placed by Mary Silliman Chapter
N.S.D.A.R.

 
Erected 1932 by Mary Silliman Chapter N.S.D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the The Washington-Rochambeau Route marker series.
 
Location. 41° 24.875′ N, 73° 18.138′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Hill Road (U.S. 6) and Queen Street, on the right when traveling east on Church Hill Road. Touch for map. Located in front of Hawley School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Church Hill Road, Newtown CT 06470, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington – Rochambeau Revolutionary Route (here, next to this marker); Rochambeau (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cyrenius H. Booth Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newtown Meeting House
In Commemoration Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 20, 2010
2. In Commemoration Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Rev. John Beach, A.M. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newtown (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newtown Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Where Rochambeau Crossed the Housatonic River (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,007 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement