Homewood in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
By 1909 real estate developers Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton incorporated the Edgewood Highlands Land Company and purchased 1700 acres on which to build their dream. The development would include Edgewood Country Club, also known as the Birmingham Motor and Country Club (built in 1913 and demolished in the 1930's) and Edgewood Lake (completed in 1915 and drained in the 1940's). In order to make Edgewood accessible from Birmingham's prestigious South Highlands area, Smith and Brazelton built a streetcar line, the Birmingham - Edgewood Electric Railway in 1911. This involved the difficult engineering feat of cutting a road through Red Mountain's Lone Pine Gap, below present day Vulcan Park.
Edgewood's first mayor was Hartley T. Brownell and its best known business was Edgewood Drug Company owned by C. W. "Doc" Temerson, a Homewood City Councilman. Edgewood became part of the new city of Homewood in 1927.
Erected 2003 by City of Homewood, The Birmingham - Jefferson Historical Society.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “We Love Homewood” (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hallman Hill (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rosedale (approx. 1.2 miles away); Homewood (approx. 1.2 miles away); Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club (approx. 1.2 miles away); Glen Iris Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Samford University (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hollywood / Hollywood Town Hall / Hollywood Country Club (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Homewood.
Also see . . . Egewood Lake from Bham Wiki. (Submitted on January 27, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,318 times since then. Last updated on January 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.