Hamilton in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The railroad reached Leesburg by 1860. Construction and operations ceased during the Civil War. By the time the railroad was up and running again, ownership had changed and so had the destination. The new route through western Loudoun County was slightly to the south of the original one, heading toward Snicker's Gap and sparking the growth of towns including Hamilton, Purcellville, Round Hill, and Bluemont. Unlike the other towns, however, Hamilton grew up along the automobile turnpike (Route 7) rather than along the railroad.
Erected by Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park - Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 39° 8.637′ N, 77° 39.018′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Virginia, in Touch for map. Located along the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail Park. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton VA 20158, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tracks into History (here, next to this marker); Major General Ben H. Fuller (approx. 1.1 miles away); Paeonian Springs Station (approx. 1.7 miles away); Clarkes Gap (approx. 2.2 miles away); Loudoun Branch, Manassas Gap Railroad (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mother of the Wright Brothers (approx. 2½ miles away); Electric Trains on the W&OD (approx. 2.9 miles away); Ambush at Purcellville (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photo of The station in March 1951. An inset photo shows a Hamilton Station postcard from before 1912.
Also see . . . Washington & Old Dominion Railroad. Detailed Wikipedia entry with the history of the railroad and a station list. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,912 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.