Prospect in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Prospect State Route 47 Bridge
1913 - 2007
In 1983 the Ohio Department of Transportation and Ohio Historic Preservation Office designated the Prospect Bridge a historic structure, eligible for listing in the National Register for Historic Places as a significant example of Parker Truss design in Ohio. It featured a 217-foot span with pin connections on the upper and lower chords.
The Parker Through Truss design was patented in 1870 by Charles H. Parker of Boston, Massachusetts. This variation of the Pratt Truss design used fewer materials because the end vertical and horizontal members were shorter, creating a slanted vertical at both ends of the truss, which also improved its adaptability to custom span lengths.
The Prospect Bridge was replaced in 2007 due to increased traffic and load requirements. At the time of its replacement, there were ten Parker Through Trusses remaining in Ohio, including one built in 1937 on Marion County Road 141, over the Olentangy River in Richland Township.
Erected by Ohio Department of Transportation.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prospect OH 43342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prospect War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenville Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 1.4 miles away); Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate (approx. 5 miles away); Green Camp (approx. 5.8 miles away); Richwood Opera House and Town Hall (approx. 5.8 miles away); North Union District Veterans' Memorial Monument (approx. 6 miles away); Harrison Military Road (approx. 6 miles away); Waldo Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prospect.
Also see . . . Bridge Types. (Submitted on January 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Bridges & Viaducts • Disasters • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.