Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mechanicsburg in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cumberland Valley Railroad

 
 
Cumberland Valley Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 24, 2006
1. Cumberland Valley Railroad Marker
Inscription. Incorporated in 1831. Completed, Lemoyne to Chambersburg, 1837; eventually, Harrisburg to Virginia. For over 80 years, vital to Valley's economic life; merged into Pennsylvania R.R., 1919. Passenger Station, Stationmaster's House here, built in the 1860's.
 
Erected 1992 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 12.832′ N, 77° 0.518′ W. Marker is in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on Strawberry Ave. just from N. Market Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 Strawberry Ave., Mechanicsburg PA 17050, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frankenberger Tavern (approx. mile away); Simpson Ferry Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Irving Female College (approx. half a mile away); Silver Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Brig. Gen. Albert Gallatin Jenkins, C.S.A. (approx. 1.9 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sporting Hill (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsburg.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Cumberland Valley Railroad Passenger Station image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 24, 2006
2. Cumberland Valley Railroad Passenger Station
Now occupied as a museum.
National Register of Historic Places plaque on passenger station image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 24, 2006
3. National Register of Historic Places plaque on passenger station
Cumberland Valley Stationmaster's House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 24, 2006
4. Cumberland Valley Stationmaster's House
Nation Register of Historic Places plaque on stationmaster's house. image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 24, 2006
5. Nation Register of Historic Places plaque on stationmaster's house.
Cumberland Valley Railroad Passenger Station image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 30, 2015
6. Cumberland Valley Railroad Passenger Station
(located below the National Register of Historic Places plaque)
1867

In 1867, the Cumberland Valley Railroad completed this station, Mechanicsburg's first and only. Previously, passengers boarded at the Railroad Hotel, located near where the east end of the Strawberry Alley municipal parking lot is now. It served CVRR passengers until 1919, when the Pennsylvania Railroad bought out the CVRR, and then served PRR passengers until service ended in 1952.

In 1975, the Borough of Mechanicsburg purchased the railroad properties from the Penn Central Railroad. It was in sad condition. The station was renovated by the borough as office and council chamber spaces, which served until 2003. In 2005 it was purchased by the Mechanicsburg Museum Association. It now serves as main office, display space, and event space for the association.
Cumberland Valley Railroad Stationmaster's House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, April 30, 2015
7. Cumberland Valley Railroad Stationmaster's House Marker
(located below the National Register of Historic Places plaque)
1866


In 1866, the Cumberland Valley Railroad built this home as home and office for the Mechanicsburg Stationmaster. The stationmaster was in charge of passenger and freight operations in Mechanicsburg. The first residents were stationmaster and telegrapher George Zacharias and his family. Built of solid brick, and having a number of quality features inside, it was quite nice for a middle class home of the times.

Between 1885 and 1890, the home became the office of Adams Express, which in 1917 sold its express business to Railway Express Agency (REA). Later, it was used by the railroad for baggage and storage, and by the 1970s, it was an abandoned eyesore. In 1975, the Borough of Mechanicsburg purchased the railroad properties from the Penn Central Railroad. The Mechanicsburg Museum Association was formed to restore and furnish the home, and it became the first part of the Mechanicsburg Museum. It is now owned by the association, and shown on docent led tours.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,038 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 30, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   6, 7. submitted on May 1, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement