Urbanna in Middlesex County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Middlesex County Courthouse
Erected 2004 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number OC-41.)
Location. 37° 38.183′ N, 76° 34.517′ W. Marker is in Urbanna, Virginia, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Old Virginia Street (County Route 602) west of Cross Street (Virginia Route 227), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Old Virginia St, Urbanna VA 23175, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Landsdowne (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sandwich (about 400 feet away); Tobacco Was Money (about 600 feet away); Old Tobacco Warehouse (about 600 feet away); John Mitchell’s Map (about 600 feet away); The Backyard Garden Was Essential (about 600 feet away); A Hub For Commerce (about 600 feet away); Prettyman’s Rolling Road (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Urbanna.
Regarding Old Middlesex County Courthouse. The Trinity Lutheran Church holds Sunday services here at 9 a.m.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places 1976 Nomination Form. Statement of Significance. “The Old Middlesex County Courthouse survives as one of Virginia’s eleven Colonial courthouses, one of an outstanding collection of pre-Revolutionary civic architecture unmatched in quantity by any other state. Although the building has been much changed during its two centuries of existence, and only its patched walls are original, it remains the principal historical focal point of the old seaport village of Urbanna. Many important aspects of county and state history are reflected in the various uses to which the building has been put.
“Construction of the courthouse was finally begun in 1745. The order for building the courthouse was probably recorded the previous year, but unfortunately, the order books covering that year have been lost. Official approval for the new building and its location was granted somewhat belatedly (probably after the building was finished) by the Governor’s Council on April 24, 1746. An entry in the Executive Journal for that day records: “It is ordered that the Courthouse of the County aforesaid be removed to Urbanna according to the Prayer of the said Petition.” The county, by January 1745, had already made payment to one John Rodes, Jr., for his care of the courthouse.
“Even after Urbanna had served the county for nearly a century there were those who felt the courthouse should be located elsewhere. Finally, in 1847, the Middlesex justices voted against funding further repairs to the building and decided to move the county seat to the more accessible settlement of Saluda. A new courthouse was completed in 1852: and the old courthouse was sold a t auction that same year to Captain John Bailey for $600.00. Bailey had the building renovated into an interdenominational chapel, restyling its architecture in the Gothic taste.
“During the War between the States, the building was used for a time as barracks for Confederate troops. It was shelled by Union gunboats, but little damage resulted. After the war it continued as a union chapel until 1896 when it was sold. It changed hands several times until 1907 when it was acquired by Christ Church Parish of Middlesex. Dedicated as an Episcopal chapel known as Epiphany in 1920, it served in that capacity until 1948 when improved travel conditions made the chapel no longer necessary. It was in that year that the building was deconsecrated and deeded to the Middlesex County Woman’s Club. It remains the club’s headquarters and serves as the scene of various community and private functions.” (Submitted on January 30, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 848 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 30, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.