Dawson in Terrell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church
Elder William Hubbard was the first pastor of this church and served during the War Between the States, 1861-1865. Elder J.J. Davis was pastor after the war until his death in 1875. Other pastors include: Elders Elijah Blackshear, W. T. Everett, R. H. Jennings, S. H. Whatley, A. R. Crumpton, V. F. Agan, J. H. Chapman, George R. Daniels, W. E. Price, F. Arthur DeVane. Deacons include Joel Harrell, Wm. Jennings, J. E. Boseman, J. J. Adams, M. E. Jennings, R. S. Everett, W. R. Garrett, George D. Jennings, J. L. Hudson. Clerks, since organization, have been William Hubbard, J. E. Boseman, J. H. Pierce, R. H. Jennings, J. L. Adams, Miles Blackshear, James H. Kennedy, Floyd Jennings, J. B. Brim, R. E. L. Hammond, George D. Jennings, Mrs. Marian J. Agan, Mrs. Myra Daniels, and Henry S. Jennings.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 135-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 46.399′ N, 84° 25.357′ W. Marker is in Dawson, Georgia, in Terrell County. Marker is on East Lee Street (Georgia Route 32) 0 miles east of Old Mill Road S.E., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson GA 39842, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 1.4 miles away); Terrell County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Herod Town (approx. 5.2 miles away); General Andrew Jackson (approx. 5.3 miles away); Battle of Echowanotchaway Swamp Monument (approx. 9.2 miles away); Battle of Echowanotchaway Swamp (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson.
Regarding Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church. The church is built of South Georgia cypress on one piece heart-pine sills that run full length of the building.
The church fell vacant in 1984. A new congregation, affiliated with the Georgia Baptist Convention, began worship in the building in 1991.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,009 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.