Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hebrew Hill (Mt. Zion)
Harris Franklin, a Black Hills Pioneer, was born Harris Finkelstein in Prussia. His Deadwood interests included mining, banking and cattle ranching. His son Nathan served two terms as Deadwood's second Jewish Mayor. Harris Franklin died in 1923; his eulogy noted, “He was never known to foreclose a mortgage."
Blanche Colman, who was born in Deadwood, became the second woman from the Black Hills to be admitted to the South Dakota bar, 1911. Her father, Judge Nathan Colman, was Deadwood’s life-long elected Justice of the Peace and lay Rabbi for the Jewish community for many years. The Black Hills Daily Times, on endorsing
Erected 2005 by Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation and the Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 44° 22.527′ N, 103° 43.496′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker can be reached from Mt. Moriah Drive, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is located in Mt. Moriah Cemetery near the gravesites of Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane and Potato Creek Johnny. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J.B.Hickok (within shouting distance of this marker); Martha Jane Burke (within shouting distance of this marker); James Butler Hickok (within shouting distance of this marker); Chinese Immigrants (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wild Bill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spanish-American War Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Deadwood's First City Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sherman Street and the East Side (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Regarding Hebrew Hill (Mt. Zion). Jewish Americans,
Also see . . .
1. Deadwood, South Dakota and the Jews. (Submitted on February 2, 2010.)
2. Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation. The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation is a non-profit, volunteer organization. The purpose of the Society is to identify and recognize sites of American Jewish Historical interest. The Society sponsors and promotes programs of local and national historic interest. Cooperating with local Historical Societies, Communities, Churches and Synagogues, the Society encourages dialogue and interactive recognition of the commonality of the American Experience. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Jewish American, Mt. Zion
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,509 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 4. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.