San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Rincon/Douglass School
The first free public school for blacks in San Antonio was built on this site in the late 1860's. Operated by the local office of the Freedman's Bureau, the school was a two-story stone structure. Called Rincon School because of its location on Rincon (now St. Mary's) Street. The school provided instruction to students of all ages.
Operation of the school was assumed by the city of San Antonio in 1871, and it was made part of the city's school district. The name was changed to Riverside School in 1890, and to Frederick Douglass School in 1904. Ten years later the school was relocated to a two-story brick building at what is now 318 Martin Luther King Drive.
An important part of the city's history, Rincon/Douglass School has been integral to the education of a large portion of San Antonio's population.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4269.)
Location. 29° 25.796′ N, 98° 29.486′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of N St Mary's Street and Convent Street, on the right when traveling south on N St Mary's Street. Touch for map. Northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Majestic Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away); T.C. Frost (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Antonio's River Walk and Flood Control System (approx. 0.3 miles away); Twin Cypress Mexican Sniper Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the Home of Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff (approx. 0.4 miles away); Samuel Augustus Maverick (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Woll Invasion (approx. 0.4 miles away); General David E. Twiggs (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Additional keywords. Reconstruction
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,278 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on February 1, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photo 1. submitted on September 11, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.