Camilla in Mitchell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
However, the Georgia Laws of 1857 (pages 38-40), creating Mitchell county, say the county was named in honor of Gen Henry Mitchell, who was born in 1760 and died in 1839. He was a State Senator from Warren County, President of the Senate in 1809, Presidential Elector in 1812, 1816 & 1820, and an outstanding Georgian. He was a Brigadier General of Georgia troops in the post-Revolutionary period.
The first officials of Mitchell County, who took office in 1858, were Sheriff Joshua P. Crosby; Ordinary John W. Pearce; Clerk of Superior Court Montford S. Poore; Clerk of Inferior Court Joseph T. Ellis; Tax Receiver John T. Allen; Tax Collector George West; Treasurer Nathan Maples; Surveyor Murdock McLeod, and Coroner William West.
David West donated fifty acres of his land as a site for the Court House and Jail. A two story frame Court House was built in 1860 and replaced by the present brick building in 1890.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 101-1.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 13.867′ N, 84° 12.55′ W. Marker is in Camilla, Georgia, in Mitchell County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street (Georgia Route 37) and North Court Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the Mitchell Courthouse lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Camilla GA 31730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old City Well (here, next to this marker); Baker County (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 795 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.