Ellaville in Schley County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Located on the border between Sumter and Marion counties, Pond Town became a lively little community with horse racing and whiskey drinking as favorite amusements. A post office was established in 1833 with Lovett B. Smith as postmaster.
In 1840 there was a migration of some 20 families to Mississippi which almost depopulated Pond Town. At this date there was as yet no church building. A Baptist congregation was organized in 1843.
Schley County was formed in 1857 and a central site chosen for the county seat. This site, Ellaville, was 1/2 mile north of Pond Town. Ellaville’s charter in 1859 effectively sealed Pond Town’s fate, and several families moved their houses to the new site.
Today the site of Pond Town is occupied by the city cemetery.
Erected by Schley County.
Location. 32° 13.929′ N, 84° 18.519′ W. Marker is in Ellaville, Georgia, in Schley County. Marker is on South Broad Street (U.S. 19) 0.1 miles north of Callaway Drive, on the right Touch for map. The marker is at the north end of the city cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Ellaville GA 31806, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schley County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mt. Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 9.3 miles away); Captain Henry Wirz (approx. 10.2 miles away); Wirz Monument (approx. 10.2 miles away); Andersonville / Father Peter Whelan (approx. 10.2 miles away); Camp Sumter Confederate Prison Site (approx. 10˝ miles away); Grave Markers (approx. 10˝ miles away); The Raiders' Graves (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 950 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.