Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Zion Lutheran Church

 
 
Zion Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
1. Zion Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. Founder in 1755, Zion Church is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Maryland. German Lutherans began settling in Baltimore Town shortly after it was laid out in 1730. Relying on itinerant preachers from Pennsylvania, the small struggling community worshipped in private homes until 1762. In that year they built their first church on a hill one block north of here.

In 1807-08 George Rohrback and Johann Mackenheimer, both members of the congregation designed the present church facing Gay Street. The adjoining parish hall and tower, added in 1912-13, were designed by T. W. Pietsch.

The eminent scholar Henry Scheib, sixth pastor of Zion Church, founder “Scheibís School” in 1836. For decades, the bilingual school was a landmark in liberal education, attended by children of different faiths. Zionís many traditions include a language school, a weekly service in German and the hospitable practice of opening the garden at midday for those who seek a quiet lunchtime retreat.

Inside the church there is a 15,000 volume library of German theological works and a collection of Victorian and Art Nouveau stained glass windows. The two represented below depict the diverse contributions of the German inhabitants of Baltimore ranging from shipping to singing.
 
Erected by
Zion Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
2. Zion Lutheran Church
the City of Baltimore, Zion Lutheran Church, sponsor, Baltimore Heritage, sponsor, William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 17.481′ N, 76° 36.604′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of East Lexington Street and Holliday Street, on the left on East Lexington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Discover Holliday Street: A Stage for Culture, Politics, and Worship ( a few steps from this marker); Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus ( within shouting distance of this marker); Peale's Baltimore Museum - 1814 ( within shouting distance of this marker); A Tribute to Our Unsung Heroes ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Peale Museum ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Negro Heroes of the United States ( within shouting distance of this marker); Peale's Baltimore Museum ( within shouting distance of this marker); City Hall
Entrance Gate of Zion Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
3. Entrance Gate of Zion Lutheran Church
( within shouting distance of this marker); The Municipal Museum of the City of Baltimore ( within shouting distance of this marker); Boundary Lines of Baltimore Town ( within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraEducationNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
4. Bell Marker
Die Glocke der Zions-Schule 1836 -1895 As a token of lasting esteem for their school and its founder Pastor Henry Scheib, this memorial was erected by former pupils of "Scheib School"
School Bell image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
5. School Bell
Berlin Wall relic mounted on side of Zion Church image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 23, 2007
6. Berlin Wall relic mounted on side of Zion Church
This piece of the Berlin Wall stood near Lichterfelde until broken by the sledgehammer of Mister Rick DeLisle of RIAS-2 Radio in Berlin on November 11, 1989 at 6:50AM. Donated by WMIX 106.5FM Baltimore and dedicated to the memory of those who crossed and those who gave their lives in the attempt.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,145 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement