Fairfield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
In 1639 Roger Ludlow and five companions, after serving in the Pequot War, purchased from the Indians a rich and abundant expanse of land which they called by the Indian name "Uncowaye." Shortly thereafter the name "Fairfield" replaced "Uncowaye." Originally this land consisted of present-day Fairfield, Greens Farms, Weston, Redding, Easton, and the western section of Bridgeport.
The following years brought rapid development, and Fairfield with its fine harbors became the leading town in western Connecticut.
Fairfield had a substantial influence upon the United Colonies of North America during the Revolutionary War. Because of its strong support for independence, the town was burned to the ground by British forces in 1779.
George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and the Marquis de Lafayette all, on occasion, visited Fairfield. John Hancock of Boston, a close friend of Thaddeus Burr, deputy from Fairfield to the General Assembly, married his fiancee Dorothy Quincy here in 1775.
After the destruction of the Revolutionary War period, with renewed vitality and strong determination Fairfield gradually rebuilt its homes, town buildings, churches, and schools. The years that followed produced many noted educators, statesmen, and businessmen. Gideon Tomlinson
Roger Minott Sherman, outstanding lawyer served on the Supreme Court of Connecticut in 1839. William Webb Wakeman in 1860 owned one of the largest shipping fleets in America. Timothy Dwight, a leading educator, went on to become president of Yale College.
In 1981 Fairfield, Connecticut, with a population of 55,000, has retained, as can be viewed from this marker, much of the priceless charm and character which reflects its rich historic and architectural heritage.
Erected 1981 by the Town of Fairfield and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 8.487′ N, 73° 15.006′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker can be reached from Beach Road 0.1 miles west of Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of John J. Sullivan Independence Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 725 Old Post Road, Fairfield CT 06824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John J. Sullivan (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairfield Vietnam War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fairfield Honor Roll (about 500 feet away); Fairfield Boulder (about 500 feet away); Moorlands (about 500 feet away); Burr Homestead (about 500 feet away); Isaac Tucker House (about 600 feet away); Nathan Bulkley House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,032 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.